Friday, November 19, 2010

Week 7: Ginataang Manok (chicken in coconut milk)

So after last week's disappointment, I went back to mah Asian roots hoping for some yummy foodstuffs. Even though this dish is Filipino (and I'm not Filipino), I know I needed something Asian. I've been craving food from the east- believe it or not, Davis isn't exactly known for its array of awesome ethnic cuisine (but we do have a lot of sushi buffets!)... so here came Ginataang Manok!!


Here's the linkage:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ginataang-Manok-Chicken-Cooked-in-Coconut-Milk/Detail.aspx

And the overview:
Rating: 3.5/5
Cost: less than ~$20 bucksss
Difficulty: not that difficult :)
Eat it again?: probably!!
Allergies: nothing really haha



I only made one real change to the recipe, which was the coconut milk. I was like, SCARED to use regular coconut milk cuz its SOOOO FATTY and I've been munching on chocolate all week xD so I found this awesome light coconut milk at Trader Joes (huzzah for the TJ that opened in Davis!! I love love love that place) that its a LOT better for you. Granted, it probably takes away from the creaminess, but I'm not really one for white, creamy things in the first place (go ahead, insert your dirty thoughts here), so the light coconut milk was a double plus. I also used chicken thigh meat as opposed to just a big 'ol chicken.



The recipe pretty much went as planned. I cooked/fried the ginger (which is something I've never done before). Uhhh really not much to say about how I cooked it. Except that when I had to half-cover the skillet to let some of the steam come out, well... I couldn't find a cap big enough to cover everything, so I kind of had to half-ass it all weird... but I think the outcome was the same :)



For anyone who wants to try this recipe, make sure to add SALT to this recipe! The coconut milk kind of just swallows the salt and makes it go away, so don't be afraid to be liberal with the salt. With that being said, don't dump a frickin salt mine into the recipe. Also, if you like a little kick like me, I'd recommend adding some chili flakes on top :)

I'd recommend this dish because it makes quite a bit, and its super easy- just serve with rice, and you're golden!! If you're watching your weight, however, I'd think twice xD coconut milk is sooo fattyyyyyy

No comments:

Post a Comment