Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Week 2: Barengate Bay Chicken

(NOTE: This post has no pictures :( Sorry!! I completely forgot to take pictures of this one! Week 3 has several pictures though :D)

Yeah so I actually did week 1 and week 2 a while ago, so I'm finally posting the,m :P I finished week 3 this week, so I'll probably post it some time this weekend.

SO BARENGATE BAY CHICKEN!! wewt :D This is a recipe that is central to Barengate Bay, a body of water near New Jersey (so I'm told). I guess this dish will be my U S of A food :) Note how I didn't make a "burger" for the letter B. :D I'm sticking to my rules so far, bwahaha

Anyway, here's the recipe link:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Barengate-Bay-Chicken/Detail.aspx

Rating: 3/5
Cost: less than $15
Difficulty: pretty easy
Eat it again?: mebbe...
Allergies: none

I was pretty excited about this dish in the beginning- it looked super easy, and it got pretty rave reviews. Yay for putting in little effort and getting out lots of goodness and yumminess! Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed with the end result :(

This dish's flavor is actually really good. I went ahead and took some of the suggestions that other people suggested, such as replacing the cream of broccoli soup with cream of chicken soup, and simply putting fresh broccoli in instead. Instead of breading the chicken with regular bread crumbs, I used a Japanese bread crumb called "panko," usually sold at American supermarkets and definitely at Asian ones. I also couldn't find "button mushrooms," so I just used the generic cut-up mushrooms they sell at your local safeway. Nothing too extravagant.

The reason I give this dish a low grade is because of the breading. I breaded my chicken like it told me to, made the sauce, then poured the sauce over the chicken before I put it in the oven. I thought that was kind of weird of the recipe to tell me to put the sauce over breaded chicken, then stick it in the oven- isn't it gonna get all goopy and weird then?? Well, it did- the chicken turned out tasting amazing, but the goopiness wasn't for me. Yuckk.

For anyone who tries this recipe, I'd recommend two different options:

1. Bake the chicken on like, a flat surface or a cookie sheet or something so that it gets nice and crispy in the oven, then pour the sauce over it after the chicken is done (cook the mushrooms and broccoli with the sauce). Or even put the sauce on the side and dip it in lol. I like my crispiness, especially if I go through the trouble of breading something.

2. Don't bread the chicken at all, and just throw the sauce on top and stick it in the oven. It would probably have tasted just fine without the breading tbh

I would recommend this recipe to anyone if they make the suggesting that I suggested, or else it'll just come out all goopy! I like my CRISP, dammit!! Oh well- my boyfriend said it was pretty good, so I'll believe him.

Hope this post wasn't too boring without pictures- I'll use lots of pictures in the next post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment