Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Week 4: Dijon Grilled Pork Chops

Searching for a good "D" was a little difficult (I kept getting people's names instead of dishes), but once I spotted this awesome sounding Dijon dish, I knew it yelled "AWESOME COLLEGE EXPERIMENT TIME!"

I guess I didn't really think of the country aspect of my experiment when I chose this, so I'm gonna have to be careful and not do too many repeats. Looking at the ingredients, I'm 99.9% sure this is an American dish. USA! USA! (GO GIANTS!!) I don't know if I can argue it's a French dish... xD I highly doubt the French would make a recipe like this lol

Anyway, here's the recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dijon-Grilled-Pork-Chops/Detail.aspx

And the low-down:

Rating: 4/5
Cost: less than $15!!
Difficulty: TOTALLY EASY PEASY
Eat it again?: FO' SHO.
Allergies: nuffing
Religious folks: It's a pork chop, so Jewish people and Muslims, be wary!

So a quick note to anyone who wants to make this dish: please be careful when cooking pork! Its not like beef where you can leave it red inside and still eat it- you've gotta cook pork all the way through!! I was being like, super paranoid the entire time about cooking my meat. If you're ever unsure about how cooked-through the meat is, just cut it down the middle or in the thickest part of the meat and check for redness. If its red, leave it on the grill for a bit longer :P

Okay, so changes to the recipe. Instead of using apple juice, I used orange juice (this seemed like a strange subsitute, but one of the other people on allrecipes did it and they said it turned out fine), I used boneless pork chops, and instead of grilling this and covering it, I used my handy dandy George Foreman grill!! This stupid thing finally came in handy :P I was given a GF grill during my freshman year of college, but we weren't allowed to use any sort of hot or heating things in my dorm room, so I never got a chance to whip it out... UNTIL NOW. :D

This recipe was totally easy, and went by with basically no flaws. The marinade was simple. The ingredients were not confusing. It was so easy. The only flaw i'd say are the RIDICULOUS grill marks that the GF grill leaves on your meat. Seriously, I get that its a grill. You don't need to leave half-inch thick grill marks all over my dinner. Come on now, George Foreman. Stop trying to overcompensate.

I was surprised at how well this recipe turned out! It was really good, albeit the dish was a little bit dry from the GF grill and my paranoia about overcooking. Marinating overnight REALLY showed, and the meat was really flavorful and enjoyable!! I was a little bit hesitant about this recipe because the marinade was very acidic and quite bitter (I tasted it before I poured it all over my meat to marinade overnight), but the bite of the bitterness didn't completely go over to the meat. The simple pork chop dish went perfectly with a side of rice and corn :)

Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this recipe to any college student, and here's why:


1. Pork chops/pork loin is CHEAP. I was AMAZED at how much cheaper than chicken it is!! I had no idea!! Geez why haven't I been cooking pork all my life lol
2. All the ingredients for the marinade can be used in a regular kitchen (and they're fairly cheap)
Unlike the African stew recipe with its all natural unsalted peanut butter, all the marinade ingredients can be used for a million and one other things. This makes repeating the recipe easy, and cooking other things easy, too!
3. It is SO EASY to cook. Seriously. Even if you don't have a GF grill, just pan fry it!
4. No obscure spices you have to spend a lot of money on, then never use again. YAY FOR USING RANDOM SAUCES AND INGREDIENTS TO MAKE A WINNING MARINADE!!

I'd highly recommend this dish :) I even made myself a bento for tomorrow- look, I made a meat flower! See it? The flower with a stem and a flowerbed? :D :D :D :D :D mmmmmm flowers are so much better when they're made of meat...

No comments:

Post a Comment